NEED MORE INFORMATION?
Request a Free Email Brochure
Advanced Hypnotherapy & NLP
in Cheshire & Staffordshire
Call ANDREW - 07912 425487
What is alpha brain wave?
Alpha Brain Waves are brain waves within the documented frequency
range of 8 Hz to 12 Hz on an E.E.G. and were the first brainwave
frequency range to be discovered. In 1908, an Austrian research
psychiatrist was the first individual to find “brain waves.” He happened
to have found the range of brain waves cycling at a rate of 8 Hz to 12 Hz
per second. He named them Alpha Waves (“Alpha” translates to “first” in
Greek) due to the fact that they were the first brainwave range to be found
and observed in an electroencephalograph (E.E.G.).
Thousands of brainwave researchers have taken the time to learn more
about our brainwave frequencies and states of consciousness.
Researchers have found that Alpha Brain Waves are associated with
states of peace and relaxation. Not everyone even has Alpha Brain Waves
due to the fact that they diminish when you get stressed out, nervous, or
If this is the case, your brain will shift to a fast-paced state of mind
consisting of Beta Brain Waves.
When you take the time to breathe deeply, meditate, or close your eyes,
there will be a big increase in the amount of alpha brainwave activity inside
your brain. Alpha Brain Waves are not the slowest brain waves though. Theta Brain Waves, which cycle from 4 Hz to 7 Hz (e.g. 4-7 times per second) are associated with early stages of sleep. Even slower than Theta Waves is range of Delta Brain Waves which cycle from 1 Hz to 4 Hz (e.g. 1-4 times per second). Delta Brain Waves are associated with deep sleep and being completely unconscious.
How You Can Experience Alpha Brain Waves
If you want to improve the overall functioning of your brain and improve the quality of your life, you should work to increase your Alpha Brainwave activity. This will do all of the following: improve your ability to learn, significantly reduce stress and anxiety levels, bring you to a state of peak performance and mental processing, enhance your immune system, allow you to think outside the box (i.e. be more creative), and help you stay relaxed. Learning to use Self-hypnosis can be one of the quickest and simplest way to reach and maintain an Alpha state, to help improve development and decision making.
Benefits of Alpha Brain Waves
Due to the fact that many people are short on Alpha Brain Waves, it is
a good idea to learn how they can be increased. People who suffer
from anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, or other stress related problems
usually are not able to reap the benefits of the alpha brain waves range.
Though each brainwave state has benefits, it is most common that
people are lacking the alpha range.
When a person is lacking in alpha brainwave activity, rapid thinking and
overthinking usually occur. They may get adrenaline rushes and lack the
ability to concentrate. Think of Alpha Brain Waves as the third gear on a
four speed bike. You need to be able to shift from the fastest paced fourth
gear (Beta) in order to get to third gear (Alpha), and you need to shift from
the third gear in order to get to second gear (Theta). And you finally must be
able to shift from the second gear (Theta) in order to reach the first, slowest
speed gear (Delta).
Just like each and every gear is important in the shift process of gear shifting on a bike ride, each brain wave frequency range is important to have in your brain in order to optimally deal with life’s experiences. People who are able to shift their brain waves from a highly focused, motivated, fast-paced and excited (Beta) state to a more relaxed, flowing, calm state (Alpha) – are able to better deal with stressful situations and cope with life. Unfortunately though, not everyone has the ability to get out of the overstimulated state of mind (Beta).
The ability to produce Alpha Brain Waves does not come easy for all people. In fact, some people have never experienced them their entire adult lives. These people don’t know what it feels like to slow down from stress or rapid-thinking. There is nothing wrong with being in a Beta state of mind, however, if we access that state for too long and forget to return to Alpha, our mental health will suffer (e.g. lack of concentration) as well as the health of our body (e.g. high blood pressure from stress).
Alpha Brain Waves can be of benefit to you because they will help you stay relaxed and will literally melt away all of your stress. They have been documented to improve learning, memory, and social interaction. They also have been known to cure anxiety and insomnia in some individuals. It is known that people who have lower anxiety tend to have significantly more Alpha Brainwave activity than those who are highly strung.
Another interesting benefit from Alpha brain waves is that they have been known to boost your immune system. This basically translates to you getting sick less often. If you take some time to think about this statement, it makes perfect sense due to the fact that people who are stressed out (e.g. in a Beta state) tend to get sick a lot. Staying calm and relaxed will build up immunity and you sure won’t be getting sick as often.
Alpha Brain Waves have also been associated with creativity.
Researchers have discovered that most creative individuals tend
to have more Alpha activity than those who are too logical and unoriginal.
So if you were to work on increasing your Alpha waves, you would almost
positively be increasing your ability to tap into a highly creative state.
Problem solving, “super learning, and peak performance have also been
known to skyrocket as a result of an increase in Alpha Brain Waves. If you
would like more information regarding Alpha Brain Waves, I highly
recommend checking out the articles below.
Benefits of Alpha Brain Waves:
• Relaxing Thoughts / Relaxed Body – The alpha brainwave is produced when your body calms down and your mind is completely relaxed. Your brain’s thinking is slower, your mind is clear and you may even feel slightly drowsy. Your body has zero stress, tension, anxiety, or other feelings of being nervous. Increasing your alpha brain wave activity is a profound way to reduce your stress.
• Access Creative States – If you consider yourself to have above-average creativity, chances are that you often experience an alpha brain wave state. Artists, innovative thinkers, and singers are generally found to have higher alpha activity than the average person. If you feel that your creativity is lacking, an increase in your alpha waves will feel great.
• Enhanced Problem Solving - Most people cannot seem to tap their alpha waves to help them problem solve. Alpha waves integrate both hemispheres of your brain for better communication and clearer thinking. The problem with lacking alpha waves is that your left-hemisphere is pulling all the weight in solving a problem, when your right-hemisphere has a solution waiting to communicate to the left. Increasing your alpha brain waves can benefit artists, writers (for writers block), and creative thinkers. You certainly won’t feel mentally “stuck” in the alpha state. In order to tap your inner creativity, your brain must be able to produce synchronous bursts of alpha waves.
• Calming, Centered Emotions – Alpha brain waves will put you in a calm emotional state. You will not feel powerful emotions, however, you will feel “content” and centered. If you are stressed out or nerved up, you likely haven’t had access to the alpha brain waves in a long time. Getting back in an alpha state will stabilize your intense emotions and you will feel good about yourself.
• Optimal Athletic Performance – Interestingly enough, if you are an athlete, you could significantly improve your performance by entraining some alpha brain waves. There is published evidence showing that just before a golfer hits their best shot or a basketball player sinks a shot (think LeBron and Kobe), alpha activity bursts in the left-hemisphere of their brain. Elite marksmen also have shown a significant burst of alpha wave activity before perfect shots. Also unique is the fact that the EEG’s (brain wave measurement) of pro-athletes are very likely to display the alpha rhythm, whereas newbie athletes and even decent athletes do not demonstrate any alpha activity. The best brain wave to entrain for peak performance has been widely considered to be 10 Hz (i.e. 10 cycles per second). I encourage athletes to give some alpha entrainment a shot and see if it puts you “in the zone.”
• Reductions of Fear, Tension, Stress, Nervousness, Anxiety – Increasing
your alpha brain waves automatically leads to decreasing your fears, tension,
stress, nerves, and anxiety. If you have ever gotten so caught up in a stressful
or fearful state, that you literally “forgot how to relax,” then having the ability to
increase your alpha brain waves would feel like you’ve been given a miracle
• Everything Seems to “Flow” – Being able to access “flow” means that you are able to tap a state of mind where all of life’s events seem to pass quickly and all challenges are easily and quickly overcome. “Flow” is a period of time when you do not have any resistance or problems. You are in a mental state with optimal brain wave stimulation – you are not thinking too rapidly as to stress yourself out, yet you are also not thinking too slow as to be tired; you are right in the middle between the two. You feel “balanced” and understand that you are in a desirable state of mental functioning.
• Ability to Tap “Super Learning” – The ability to learn quickly and effortlessly has been described as the phenomena of “super learning.” Basically, your brain is able to remember and recall information with less effort than normal. Alpha waves will allow your brain to retain large quantities of information. This is due to the fact that both hemispheres of your brain are integrated and communicating with each other.
• Improved Immune System Functioning – Your alpha waves are responsible for cranking up your immune system. They have been linked to health, recovery from sickness, and serve as protection from stress-related illnesses. Stress can quickly ramp up damage on your immune system if you go long periods without taking some time to relax; thus increasing alpha activity.
• Think Positive – Research indicates that due to the calm, wellbeing as a result of increasing alpha brain wave activity, positive thinking and positive emotions also result. I can personally testify for this one – after having gotten caught up in stress for a prolonged period – my thinking became increasingly positive after a few sessions of alpha entrainment; likely resulting from increased mental peace and calmness.
• Alpha Brain Waves = Nautral Antidepressant – Alpha brain waves allow for increased release of an important neurotransmitter called “Serotonin.” Serotonin production usually drops to lower than normal levels in your brain when you feel depressed. In fact, most antidepressants nowadays aim to increase low levels of serotonin in the brain (do a search for “SSRI’s” to find out more). For these reasons, it makes sense that alpha brain waves may help ward off your blues.
• Internal Awareness – Alpha brainwaves are associated with an increased awareness of yourself: body and mind. Whereas beta brainwaves cause the mind to focus more on external events, the alpha brainwaves enhance the overall awareness of one’s self.
People with Higher than Average Amounts of Alpha Brain Waves
• Outgoing People, Extroverts – Generally, if you are more outgoing and consider yourself extroverted, you have more alpha brain waves than introverts. The consensus seems to be that if you have plenty of alpha activity, you are more than 3X as likely to be outgoing. It makes perfect sense – introverts are less comfortable during social interaction – whereas being social comes natural for extroverts.
• People who us Self-hypnosis – If you practice self-hypnosis or meditation, then you have definitely accessed the alpha brain wave state. Each time as you close your eyes to meditate, you experience a surge of alpha brain wave activity. If you want to naturally increase your alpha activity, try meditation.
• As a Child – As a child, you tend to experience much greater activity in the alpha range. As you age, your brain shifts away from alpha to another range (commonly the beta range). It is important to recognise that even though you are not a child, you can still have access to alpha waves. The majority of the adult population would benefit from increasing their alpha brain waves.
To understand more about how you could benefit from Learning the Power of Self-Hypnosis, then please visit SELF-HYPNOSIS COURSE page for more information.